Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Basic Components: water pump and air pump.

My "Basic Components" compedium was left in the dust for a while and it's time to bring it up to speed.

I'd written about my main fish tank pump before. It's a Little Giant brand pump, and here are the specs for anyone that's interested. It works in-line, or submerged. I have mine submerged. So far, it's worked great, and it's easy to clean. I assume pump technology is pretty well advanced, and have faith this thing will perform for a long time. However, I am planning on getting a second pump ASAP, just to have on the shelf in case I need it. These are mechanical devices after all, and if there is one thing I've learned over the years, it's that if something can go wrong, it eventually will - usually when it's least convenient!

My air pump I had to get on line. The local aquarium market is aimed a small household fish tanks, probably for people with a few gold fish and such, which I consider extremely boring and a waste of time and money. I mean, if you can't eat it, and it's not a dog, what's the point?

In any case, I tracked down a nice air pump online. This delivers 16L of air per minute, through eight outlets:


The air tubing is sold separately, as are the air-stones. Right now I only have four air-stones hooked up (because I didn't buy enough tubing), but that should be way more than enough air for the amount of fish and water I have.

I'll be posting the specs and set-up for my battery-back-up pump system hopefully this weekend. After that, I hope to get some plant and fish action soon, or there will not be much to write about for a few weeks!

1 comment:

  1. I love that new air pump, what's the wattage (or amps) on it? Does CR have 110v electrical system?

    ReplyDelete